Sea Moss, also known as Irish Moss, is a product that we’ve recently launched here at Organic Relief following it’s growth in popularity due to all the organic benefits that this product provides! To buy organic Sea Moss online, click here!
Sea Moss is a red alga that grows along the rocky coasts of the Atlantic Ocean. It is a source of carrageenan, a thickening agent used in many foods and cosmetics. Sea moss is also used in traditional medicine as an all-natural treatment for various conditions. It is particularly helpful when it comes to weight loss.
What is Sea Moss?
Sea moss, know scientifically as Chondrus crispus is a type of seaweed or algae, which is found growing in coastal regions of the Atlantic, including those in Europe and North America. Like other seaweeds. Sea moss is a rich source of many of the harder-to-get nutrients.
It’s mostly known as a red alga, although it often comes in many colours, most popularly yellow or gold and purple – but you can also find rarer colours such as blue and green. It is low in calories and a fat which means that sea moss is popular for its suggested range of health benefits, which may help to support a healthy lifestyle.
Sea moss contains a small amount of protein, as well as offering a variety of vitamins and minerals. It’s also a great source of iodine and antioxidants.
The benefits of Sea Moss
Sea Moss offers several benefits, including:
- Sea moss can be used to help with blood sugar control. This is thanks to compounds like the carotenoid and fucoxanthin, which helps to reduce insulin resistance and support better blood sugar control.
- Sea moss contains iron, which is a great way to support your energy levels.
- Sea moss contains magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin K, and omega-3 fatty acids that hydrate and support healthy skin cell function.
- Seaweed, including sea moss, is one of the best plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for health, and especially so for the heart and cardiovascular system.
- Caribbean natives have been using sea moss as a natural aphrodisiac for many years. Its high zinc content is thought to increase sex hormones that play a key role in libido levels.
Sea Moss for Weight Loss
You may be surprised that there are actually many different ways in which Sea Moss can help you with your weight loss journey. Below we’ll go into more detail on what these are, and how they work.
Sea Moss helps to increase the feeling of fullness
One of the main bioactive compounds in Sea Moss is Carrageenan. Due to its gelling ability and the fact that your body can’t digest it, it acts like soluble fiber in your digestive tract.
Soluble fiber absorbs water and forms a gel-like substance. By increasing the rate at which food moves through the digestive tract and delaying the rate that your stomach empties it’s contents, your digestion is slowed. This may leave you feeling fuller for longer, which may help you eat less. In fact, regular soluble fiber intake has been linked to lower body weight.
Sea Moss may help to reduce body fat
Research has also suggested that Carrageenan may potentially prevent weight gain. Studies have shown that it can reduce body fat by reducing the creation of fat cells, lowering dietary fat absorption, increasing the breakdown of stored fat and promoting the “fat-burning” effect of brown fat tissue.
Sea Moss may have a prebiotic effect
Prebiotics are groups of fibers that act as food for your gut’s friendly bacteria — or gut microbiota. Recent studies suggest that the your gut’s microbiota may influence your risk of obesity. The proposed mechanism is that specific types of bacteria in your gut may affect your weight by regulating energy expenditure and storage. Prebiotics may help make your gut microbiota healthier. And research on carrageenan shows promising results that it may improve the gut’s composition.
Side effects of Sea Moss
There are some side effects that you need to consider when thinking about taking sea moss. Thse are mostly side effects that occur when you consume excessive amounts of Sea Moss. The side effects of Sea Moss include:
- Sea Moss does have a high iodine content. Excessive iodine intake may have a poisonous effect and lead to: goiter, thyroid cancer, and hyper- or hypothyroidism
- Excessive iodine can cause fever, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, as well as a burning sensation in the mouth, throat, and stomach
- Seaweeds such as sea moss may accumulate toxic metals like mercury and lead
Shop Sea Moss Online today!
Sea moss has been used for it’s health benefits for centuries. It’s rich in essential minerals, like iron and magnesium, as well as folate and omega-3. It’s has sky-rocketed in popularity due to the many celebrities that have been touting the benefits of sea moss.
Sea Moss can be great to help you on your weight loss journey and to also help you improve your overall health. If your looking for more advice on taking Sea Moss and some of it’s benefits then please don’t hesitate in contacting our customer service team here at Organic Relief.